Welcome to Week 11!
Lots of initiatives are taking place this week and beyond. Thank you for checking them out!
National School Bus Safety Week
Held during the third full week of October each year, National School Bus Safety Week is a public education program and an excellent way for parents, students, teachers, motorists, school bus operators, school administrators, and other interested parties - to join forces and address the importance of school bus safety. We invite everyone to do their part in keeping our students safe on the bus!
Unity Day - Wednesday, October 20
October is National Bullying Prevention month. Please wear orange on Wednesday to stand united against bullying! Everyone can help prevent bullying by encouraging kindness, acceptance and inclusion. Learn what you can do at https://www.pacer.org/bullying/.
New Worlds Reading Initiative
Flyers with New World’s Reading Initiative information were sent home on Friday with eligible students (currently not reading on grade level). We encourage families to take advantage of this free book delivery program. One book per month will be mailed to families who signed up to participate. Signing up is easy! Just follow the directions on the flyer!
Accelerated Reader Goals for the 2nd 9 Weeks
1st Grade: 5 points
2nd-5th Grade: 10 points
Keep reading, Tigers!
Adaptive Progress Monitoring Assessments
Students in grades 3-5 will be taking their ELA and Math Adaptive Progress Monitoring (APM) assessments at the beginning of the 2nd 9 weeks.
NES Spooktacular Trick and Treat
Save the date for the NES Spooktacular Trick AND Treat night on Thursday, October 28. No scary costumes please! Weare still in need of bags of individually wrapped candy to help with making our event extra sweet! All candy donations are due by Friday, October 22 so that we can plan accordingly.
The following T-shirt days for students have been designated for the 2nd 9 weeks:
- Wednesday -AVID/College T-Shirt Day; also, Wednesdays are Hat Days as part of our 2nd grade fundraiser. Students may wear a hat in class for a donation of $0.25.
- Friday - NES Spirit Day
Additional dress up days will be announced for the Red Ribbon Week on October 25-29.
Updated COVID-19 Decision Tree
We will continue to follow the Florida Department of Education updated COVID-19 Symptomatic Decision Tree from September. When students are waiting for their test results, they should not be sent to school. As always - thank you for keeping your child at home when sick!
Additional At Home Learning Resources
Students can access web-based instructional programs at https://launchpad.classlink.com/okeechobee using their computer login information.
- The following programs can also be accessed via these links:
- iReady https://cainc.i-ready.com
- Reflex Math: https://www.reflexmath.com
- Accelerated Reader (AR): https://global-zone05.renaissance-go.com/welcomeportal/73214
Free Breakfast and Lunch
Lunch menu for this week is as follows:
Chicken tenders / pinwheels
BBQ chicken on a bun / ham and cheese croissant
Shepherd's pie / hot dog
Chicken patty on a bun / Wedge sandwich
- 10/18 Recorder Unit starts in Music (grades 3-5)
- 10/19 School Board Meeting 6 PM
- 10/20 Unity Day - Wear Orange
- 10/25 Dental Sealants Program Starts
- 10/27 Fall Pictures Makeup Day
- 11/08 Fall Book Fair Week
- 11/11 NES Veterans Day Program
- 11/11 NES School Advisory Committee Meeting 5:00 PM
- 11/09 Progress Report Day
- 11/19 Early Release Day
- 11/19 NES Track and Field Event
- 11/19 KG Thanksgiving Feast
- 11/22 Fall Break Starts (11/22-11/26)
- 12/10 County Track and Field Event
- 12/17 Early Release Day
- 12/20 Winter Break Starts
School Board Recognitions
Pictures and information with the School Board recognitions of our students and staff can be accessed at: http://www.okee.k12.fl.us/school-board-recognition-2021-2022. Thank you to everyone who has helped us make an impact in our community!
All students have access to the Fortify FL reporting app on their Chromebooks at school. Fortify FL posters posted around campus to remind students they can report suspicious activity at any time using the app.
Thank you for allowing us to educate your child this year!
Dr. Tuuli Robinson
Principal of North Elementary School